Indeed, spices can be described as a precious gift from the mother earth for all human beings. All most all the spices are healthy and can be added to our dishes to make them more and more delicious. But some spices are not as healthy as we think. Cinnamon, black and white pepper, turmeric, paprika, sesame seeds, mustard, garcinia, coriander, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, and fennel are some of the commonly used healthy spices around the world. But when considering about spices like red chillies and cumin seeds, they can cause long term health troubles, though it tastes like heavenly when added to dishes. As an answer to the question; Are spices healthy? Yes, spices are healthy in most cases except in a few rare situations like allergies and some diseases.
A spice is a part of a plant such as a root, bark, fruit, or seed primarily used for flavouring, colouring, or preserving foods.
Are spices healthy? Yes, spices are healthy and it has proved. Today, many studies have shown that spices like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, turmeric, cardamom, and garcinia have antimicrobial properties and play a significant role in boosting our immune system and metabolism. Most spices have substantial antioxidant activity. Among all spices, fresh ginger has the highest antioxidant activity. These antioxidants can also act as natural preservatives and can prevent the spoilage of foods. There are no longer arguments like whether spices are healthy, or they cause long term health problems. We should add them to our everyday dishes for healthy living.
What are healthy spices?
Here are some healthy spices using around the world.
- White pepper
- Sesame seeds
Facts about healthy spices
Here you can find a detailed answer to your question, are spices healthy? These spices have many health benefits apart from using them as flavours, flavour enhancers, preservatives, etc. Here you can find the benefits of all spices and all the facts you need to know about those spices.
Health Benefits of Cinnamon
Cinnamon is rich in powerful medicinal properties such as cinnamaldehyde and polyphenol antioxidants. The high content of Cinnamaldehyde in cinnamon is known to be responsible for most of its health benefits. Also, the large number of polyphenol antioxidants have an anti-inflammatory activity, which helps to lower the risk of many diseases.
- Reduce bad LDL cholesterol levels and triglycerides while remaining HDL cholesterol levels stable.
- Fight against cancer cells
- Fight against HIV
- Improves sensitivity to insulin hormone hence reduces the risk for type 2 diabetes.
- It lowers Blood sugar levels and has a powerful anti-diabetic effect.
- Lowers high blood pressure
- Gives ease to digestion
- Helps to improve the blood circulation
- Has powerful antibacterial and antifungal activities
- Makes a significant effect on Alzheimer’s disease
There are two types of cinnamons
- Ceylon cinnamon: Also known as “true” cinnamon.
- Cassia cinnamon: The more common type today and what people generally use as “cinnamon.
It is Better to use Ceylon cinnamon (“True” Cinnamon)
Not all cinnamon gives equal health benefits. The Cassia cinnamon contains large amounts of a compound called coumarin, which can be harmful when taking in large doses. Ceylon cinnamon contains much lower amounts of coumarin. Unfortunately, it is hard to find Ceylon cinnamon. You may be able to find Ceylon cinnamon in some health food stores and online.so make sure to get Ceylon cinnamon if you’re using the Cassia variety.
Health Benefits of Nutmeg
Nutmeg is a hidden gem among healthy spices. In fact, it has been used as a remedy for various ailments since ancient times. This amazing spice is filled with vitamin B complex, vitamin C, folic acid, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin A and many flavonoid antioxidants like beta carotene that helps to reach optimum health.
- Boost immune system
- prevent diarrhoea
- protect teeth and gum
- aid blood circulation
- treat sleep disorder and insomnia
- treat kidney infections
- reduce the risk of cancer and Alzheimer’s disease
- facilitate better digestion by inducing secretion of various gastric and intestinal juices
- ensure a good bone health
- detoxify the body
- maintain an optimal brain health
- fight depression and anxiety
- prevent tooth decay and cavity
- make skin healthier by fighting acne, reducing pigmentation and fade blemish away
- treat halitosis or bad breath by its antibacterial properties
- lower blood pressure
Apart from those benefits, nutmeg has the following key benefits.
Even More than 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg per day can be harmful. Over-consumption of nutmeg can cause hallucinations, drowsiness, dizziness, dry mouth, confusion, or can achieve psychoactive effects. So, be careful not to use overdoses even these spices are healthy!
Health Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric has been used for thousands of years around the world because of its significant health benefits. Turmeric contains bioactive compounds with medicinal properties. Turmeric contains curcumin, a substance that has potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Also, Turmeric dramatically increases the antioxidant capacity of the body. Using black pepper with turmeric can enhance the absorption of curcumin on to the bloodstream.
Here are some incredible health benefits of turmeric
- detoxify the body by optimizing the function of the liver
- supports heart health
- promotes a healthy youthful skin
- fights body-wide inflammation
- boosts levels of the brain and increases the growth of new neurons
- eases muscle and joint pains
- promotes natural weight loss
- fight against indigestion
- helps to delay and manage diabetes
- lowers cholesterol levels
- Fights against cancer cells all over the body
- reduces symptoms of depression
- heals wounds fast
- controls blood pressure
- reduces arthritis symptoms
- prevents and cure Alzheimer’s disease
- improves appetite
Studies show that Curcumin has incredible benefits against depression. Also, turmeric has a high anti-parasitic effect, which helps to give a shield against various intestinal parasites. There are 200 milligrams of curcumin in 1 teaspoon of turmeric. You can have one teaspoon of turmeric per day to get good results with anti-inflammatory purposes. Note that you should never use any herb, food, or anything for a long time except critical medications prescribed by a doctor. Usually, Turmeric does not have serious side effects. But sometimes can cause digestive problems, diarrhea, dizziness, or nausea.
Health Benefits of Garcinia Cambogia
Garcinia is a popular fruit in tropical regions. Hydroxycitric acid (HCA) is the infamous active ingredient in garcinia. This gives a lot of health benefits to having a healthy life. Garcinia is a super spice that helps to lower bad LDL cholesterol levels and triglycerides in the blood. Garcinia should be taken in between the meals to use as a powerful remedy for lowering cholesterol levels. Taking Garcinia daily basis can build up crystals in the kidney and bladder.
- Here are the benefits of garcinia.
- Prevents fat storage
- Naturally suppresses appetite
- Boosts happy mood by increasing serotonin levels
- Reduces stress by increasing cortisol levels
- Lowers blood pressure
- Regulates blood sugar
- Strengthens and improve the immune system
- Boosts metabolism
- Enhances endurance power
- Cures gastric issues and reduces stomach acidity
- Enhances energy levels
- Facilitate digestion
- Lowers the risks of heart diseases
- Improves satiety and controls cravings
- Gives shields against cancer, HIV and brain injuries
- Natural detoxifier
Garcinia may interact with diabetes treatments and can lower the blood sugar levels of diabetes patients. Also, this spice can cause some side effects like nausea, headache, dizziness, and dry mouth in some people, but it is infrequent. It is recommended to take 500mg-1500mg garcinia Cambogia per day in between meals. Even this spice has many health benefits, please avoid taking it daily for healthy living.
Health Benefits of Cloves
Cloves are an excellent natural mouth freshener and a natural pain killer. It has been used to treat many oral diseases for hundreds of years.
- Here are some impressive benefits of cloves
- Rich in strong antibacterial agents
- Boosts immune system
- Prevents diabetes
- Rich in anti-inflammatory properties
- Enhance bone strength
- Improves liver health
- Rich in chemo-preventive properties
- Prevents and treats oral diseases
- Treats many skin issues
- Relieves toothaches
- A rich source of antioxidants
- Kills intestinal parasites
- Increases blood circulation
- Effective against eye infections
- Regulates digestive system
- Helps with cough and cold symptoms
- Helps to reduce bloating, gastritis, indigestion, and nausea
- Controls high cholesterol levels
Cloves have a great ability to fight against lung cancer. Cloves are safe when taken by mouth as a spice found in foods. Dried cloves can be used to treat toothaches temporarily. Place a dried clove between the offending tooth and the cheek to kill the pain of a toothache. Alternatively, placing a clove oil on a cotton ball in the mouth can be used to relieve toothaches temporarily.